Thursday, February 19, 2009

We are Fam-i-ly!

Hello Friends:

I’m back and I have some exciting news! Here at BCAC we have teamed up with The University of Maryland, Baltimore-Center for Infant Studies Department to implement their research project called, “Strengthening Families Coping Resources” (SFCR). SFCR is an exciting 15 week program that offers a family dinner, fun, strength and communication building exercises for families who have experienced some form of trauma. Our first group was supposed to begin on January 27th, but we didn’t have enough families to participate (bummer). We finally were able to begin on this past Tuesday, February 17. It’s very difficult to get families to commit, so when not one, but TWO families showed up after being “no-shows” last week (a huge bummer), we were absolutely thrilled. I was sure hoping they would come because they were being served lasagna for dinner and who would want to miss such an awesome meal right?

The group was supposed to begin at 5:30pm, but we were about 20-25 minutes late starting. I was getting nervous because a lot of effort was put into the preparation and the research project all together and it would be a disappointment to have no one come. So this is how it went down on Tuesday:

The families were TOTALLY different. One family was calm and reserved and the other was not so calm and….not so reserved, but both were manageable and cooperative. They came in and sat at their dinner tables, all nicely set with name cards and a nice center piece. They took about 30 minutes to eat (yes, the food is free for them. Here’s a big SHOUT OUT!! to Sp'getti Eddie's of Roland Park and Chuck Ritz for taking care of our meals so far. We appreciate your donation! ). Just a small note, we are always looking for restaurants, delis and shops to donate a meal so if you are interested or know someone who is interested, contact Justine Wilson at 410-396-6147. So….back to the story: After they ate, we broke out into our group sessions (ranging from 5 yr olds to adults) where we worked on a common themed activity about “ Family Traditions”, next we all came back together for an activity and to also develop some rules, opening and closing rituals and the homework assignment for the next week.

Although I was uneasy about the group, mainly because it seemed like it was going to be overwhelming, everything worked out and I absolutely LOVE my group. My partner and I had the 7-9 year olds. These girls were amazing. They had a lot of energy and even named themselves, “The Super Dooper Dooper Stars”. Ill never forget when one of the girls came in, she immediately walked over to me and said, “Hi, I’m “Jane”…nice to meet you” and she gave the biggest hug. If you must know, I’m part “germaphobe” so I had to catch my breath on that one, but it was cool. She had the biggest smile on her face and from that point all my fears and apprehensions vanished. I was looking for a sign to let me know that things were going to be cool, and there it came. While we were on our way to our break out sessions, she said, “I think you’re nice and…um, I think your hair is kinda cool too”. I thought that was sweet.

Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and for the most part, they were interested in coming back next week. Ill keep you posted and let you know how it goes. Until next time…

Peace & Blessings,
TMP

No comments: